School of Rock is a journey, not a destination! That journey begins in our Rock 101 program, where students get the full benefits of our unique performance-based instruction.
- The Rock 101 program includes a 45-minute individual lesson with one of our awesome teachers and a 90-minute group rehearsal. Our Rock 101 directors specialize in working with younger students and typically play along with the kids. Our curriculum is the most classic of classic rock!
- Beginner keyboard students start off by learning the names of each note on the keyboard. Then they learn how to blend those notes into the basic chords they will use in their Rock 101 songs.
- Our piano instructors use THE SONG AS A LESSON, introducing the student to concepts like chord progressions, time signatures, and scales for the first time.
- Students learn the various tones and sounds required for a particular song. They may use a piano sound to play a song by Neil Young, an organ sound for Santana or an electric piano sound for Stevie Wonder.
- Once our piano students have mastered the basic aspects of a song, our instructors will begin working on the more advanced concepts that will help them with cool licks and soloing techniques.
- After a few weeks in Rock 101, most students are ready for the challenge of our performance program and are encouraged to take part in a show!
Intermediate to Advanced
The Performance Program is designed for kids who know the basics of how to play their instrument and are ready to take it to the stage. This program introduces the team element into music instruction. Students will learn harmonies, musicianship and how to perform in an authentic rock show environment.
Each season, students spend time honing their music skills while preparing to perform some of the greatest songs in rock and roll history.
Past student programs have include roof raising tributes to Pink Floyd's The Wall, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC, Best of the 80s, Punk Rock, Devo, Frank Zappa, Queen, and many more fun and exciting programs.
All student musicians enrolled in our Performance Program will receive:
- Weekly private music lesson
- Weekly three-hour band rehearsal to prepare for the rock concert
- Enhanced learning in key areas such as stage performance, harmonies, musicianship and more
- Choice of new show themes every season