School of Rock is the original performance-based, interactive music school founded in 1998 in Philadelphia. With over 215 schools, and a strong internationally recognized brand, School of Rock is the largest after-school music education provider. Our mission is to help kids rock their worlds.
The General Manager (GM) runs the show from ACDC to Zappa creating a safe and cool environment for students to achieve their musical and creative potential. We want as many kids as possible to have the opportunity to experience the magic that is School of Rock. Our GMs bring that commitment to life working with every part of the school’s community to put on epic shows through which our students learn music and life skills.
The GM is the primary owner of the relationship with our students and parents. Success is achieved by delivering in the following areas.
- Provide an exceptional music education experience for students delivering strong engagement with each child and maximizing student enrollment
- Delight customers, build excellent relationships and deliver superb service
- Partner with the school Music Director (MD) to help them deliver an excellent music education program including the recruitment of exceptional music teachers and identifying iconic music venues
- Lead and inspire your team to high levels of engagement, capability and commitment
- Deliver results through management of educational KPIs and discipline around business KPIs
- Be the face of the school welcoming each parent and student as they enter and partnering with them on their personal experience, musical learning and schedule
The GM reports to the Director of Company School Operations (DO).
Customer Relationship Management
- Primary owner of creating an amazing student experience.
- Document and communicate student experience to parents and community.
- Achieve high student retention.
- Communicate regularly with parents sharing updates on school events and activities.
- Interact with students to make certain their needs are being met.
- Oversee student attendance to lessons, rehearsals and concerts. Communicate absences to parents.
- Personally handle and resolve all customer relations issues. Engage the MD where appropriate.
- Engage in music community outreach to provide guest artist opportunities for clinics and residencies.
- Be visible to and interact with your customers during school operating hours.
- Manage daily teaching schedule for peak efficiency and maximum profitability.
- Facilitate proper maintenance of school and equipment.
- Maintain attractive merchandise displays, keep accurate inventory and minimize damaged goods.
- Open the school punctually according to local hours of operation as approved by the DO.
- Be at the front desk of your school during operating hours to interact with each parent and student.
- Manage staff including performance management and compensation.
- Deliver high employee engagement.
- Coach, develop, and retain team members.
- Coordinate new hire process, on-boarding, and training.
Show Production & Management
- Manage and communicate rehearsal schedule.
- Produce shows according to Operations Manual Guidelines.
- Oversee all aspects of the show ensuring proper staffing, stocked concession, display for merchandise and promotional materials, supervision of student performers and appropriate cash controls for ticket booth.
- Assume full responsibility for the School’s performance.
- Review and analyze regular reports on school’s profit and loss with the goal of maximizing revenues and keeping expenses within budget.
- Responsible for managing labor costs against budget forecast.
- Responsible for customer billing, collections and employee payroll.
- Meet student enrollment goals ensuring the school’s financial success.
Marketing, Sales and Promotions
- Handle inbound leads and maximize conversion of leads to new students.
- Build reputation of school in the local community.
- Facilitate tours to prospective students and parents to sell enrollment.
- Conduct ongoing grassroots campaigns to increase student enrollment.
- Manage ongoing marketing to prospect list in partnership with Corporate Marketing team efforts.
- Effectively promote shows/concerts with advertising, flyers, direct mail and other marketing.
Deliver Key KPIs
- Educational KPIs: enrollment through trial/first lesson, ongoing communication of the learning experience to parents and students, performance program mix, student retention, challenging shows, House Band and AllStars promotion, NPS (Net Promoter Score)
- Business KPIs: response time to leads, conversion rate, labor %, make-ups, billing, AR, pricing, promotion
- 3+ years experience in marketing, sales, and/or customer service environment
- Excellent customer service and relationship skills
- Strong experience recruiting and managing staff
- Strong business acumen, preferably experience running a small business
- Finance experience or prior P&L responsibility
- Excellent communication skills
- Exercise skill in diplomacy in all relationships
- Proven problem solving skills
- Resourceful in creating timely solutions for unexpected issues
- Ability to maintain composure under all circumstances
- Ability to negotiate and influence
- Collaborator who works well across diverse populations
- Strong work ethic, integrity, and leadership skills
- Resourceful and innovative
- Experience and interest in working with children
- Passion and/or interest in music and the arts highly desirable