School of Rock is a journey, not a destination! That journey begins in our Rock 101 program, where students get the full benefits of our unique performance-based instruction.
- The Rock 101 program includes a 45-minute individual lesson with one of our awesome teachers and a 90-minute group rehearsal. Our Rock 101 directors specialize in working with younger students and typically play along with the kids. Our curriculum is the most classic of classic rock!
All of our drum students begin by learning about the drum kit and its many components. They are encouraged to hit each drum and cymbal and familiarize themselves with the sound each one makes. Our instructors explain what each drum contributes to the overall sound of the band.
Once our drum students have been introduced to the kit, they beginning working on basic rudiments -- the rhythmic patterns that will form the backbone of their drumming. Those basic patterns slowly morph into the drum beats used in the student's Rock 101 song and before they know it, the kids are playing the songs with other students!
Our drum instructors use THE SONG AS A LESSON, introducing the student to concepts like time signatures and song structure for the first time. Drum students learn how to count measures and connect one section of a song with the other by executing drum fills.
Once they have learned a few songs, our drum students begin working to master their advanced rudiments.
After a few weeks in Rock 101, most students are ready for the challenge of our performance program and are encouraged to take part in a show!
Intermediate to Advanced
The Performance Program is designed for kids who know the basics of how to play their instrument and are ready to take it to the stage. This program introduces the team element into music instruction. Students will learn harmonies, musicianship and how to perform in an authentic rock show environment.
Each season, students spend time honing their music skills while preparing to perform some of the greatest songs in rock and roll history.
Past student programs have include roof raising tributes to Pink Floyd's The Wall, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, AC/DC, Best of the 80s, Punk Rock, Devo, Frank Zappa, Queen, and many more fun and exciting programs.
All student musicians enrolled in our Performance Program will receive:
- Weekly private music lesson
- Weekly three-hour band rehearsal to prepare for the rock concert
- Enhanced learning in key areas such as stage performance, harmonies, musicianship and more
- Choice of new show themes every season