WHAT DEVICES WORK BEST FOR REMOTE PROGRAMMING?
- Compute (Best)
- iPad/Tablet (Second Best)
- iPhone/Android – While you can always join via iPhone or Android, the smaller screen tends to make it harder to see the instructor’s directions. In addition, we have found the audio quality to be reduced when joining from a phone.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO MY REMOTE PROGRAMMING?
- Your Instrument
- A Metronome (Can be downloaded for free – Apple iOs or Android)
- Paper & Pencil
- A second device to playback recordings (ideally not the device you are using from your zoom lesson)
- A Tuner
- Your SoR Method Book
HOW CAN I IMPROVE THE AUDIO QUALITY OF MY REMOTE LESSONS?
The default audio settings in the Zoom app are set up for speech and designed to suppress background noise. By adjusting these “Advanced Audio Settings” in Zoom, we can make it work great for our instrumental lessons
Make sure you have the most recent update for Zoom. They recently released this update, so it’s very new.
- Once updated, go into “Zoom Preferences” (the gear on your device) -> Click “Audio” on the left side -> Click the “Advanced” Button near the bottom.
- Now you can disable the “Suppress Persistent Background Noise” and disable “Suppress Intermittent Background Noise” – This will get you less clipping and suppressing which makes a huge difference during drum lessons.
- You can check the box “Show In-Meeting Options to ‘Enable Original Sound’ From Microphone” – that way you can toggle these settings on and off during a lesson as necessary.
CAN I REACH YOU AT THE SCHOOL AT (630)750-7625?
We are reachable Monday – Thursday from 1:00 PM – 9:00 PM & Friday from 1:00 PM – 7:30 PM.
WILL YOU BE OFFERING ANYTHING REMOTELY FOR LITTLE WING + ROOKIES?
For the time being, we are placing all Little Wing & Rookies Classes on hold. That be said, we haven’t forgotten about you! We are releasing a small set of at home activity videos and we will be sharing these weekly.
I AM HAVING TROUBLE FIGURING THIS ALL OUT. CAN YOU HELP?
Yes! We have a full list of video tutorials linked below for you to take advantage of! You are also welcome to call us directly at (630)750-7625 if you are still having trouble!
- Claiming your Pike13 account
- Navigating your Pike13 account
- Navigating the additional features of your Pike13 portal
- Downloading and using the School of Rock Method App
- Recording with the School of Rock Method App
- Recording and submitting a recording without the Method App
WHAT ARE GROUP CHECK-INS?
Group Check-Ins are included as part of your Performance Program or Rock 101 enrollment. They will run each week for the first 45 minutes (Rock 101) or hour (Performance Program) of your regular rehearsal time. These check-ins will be a great way to stay up to date on your Performance Group material and keep in touch with both your director and cast mates. Each week, your director will be available to answer questions and dig deeper into your performance themes. We will also be recording our songs weekly to give students a better idea of everyone’s progress as a group! You can find a short tutorial on how to record yourself using our School of Rock Method App HERE. There is a second Tutorial on how to record yourself without the Method App HERE. We may not be able to rehearse in person, but we can still prepare for our triumphant return to the stage!
WHAT IS A MASTER CLASS AND WHAT WILL YOU BE OFFERING?
Master Classes are a fantastic way to learn more about anything and everything music and are available for free with your Performance Program or Rock 101 enrollment! These classes are also available a la carte if you are currently only doing lessons. Each class will be led by one of our amazing instructors and touch on topics ranging from music theory, to songwriting, to gear maintenance and practice! There is no better time to learn more about your passion than when you’re stuck at home! A full list of offerings can be found HERE.
WHAT GEAR CAN I PURCHASE TO MAKE REMOTE LESSONS EVEN MORE AWESOME?
- Our list of recommended items are:
- Practice Pads or Electronic Drums
- Practice Amplifiers
- Phone/Tablet Mounts
- Audio Interfaces for mobile/computers
- Remo Silent Strokes Drumheads
- ProTools First Recording Software (FREE)